City Advice

City Advice is a free advice service exclusively for people who live work or study in the City of London* or live in a City of London estate.

*What is the City of London Square Mile?


To be able to use this service, you must live, work or study in the City of London Square Mile (inside the red line on the map) or live in a City of London Corporation Estate. See here for a list of City of London estates.  Check this map in more detail to see if you’re eligible for this service.

Drop-in sessions at Toynbee Hall every Thursday

If you would like to speak to one of our expert advisors in person, drop-in to Toynbee Hall on Thursday’s between 10am – 12pm. Go to:

The Advice Centre
Toynbee Hall
28 Commercial Street
E1 6LS

Get advice by phone or email, call 020 7392 2919 or email

or complete our online form and one of our team will get back to you

We can help you with…

Welfare benefits

If you are struggling to understand your benefits entitlement or need help to know how and what to claim, we can help.

More info on benefits


We help with all kinds of debt problems, from credit or store cards to council tax arrears, mortgage problems, court fines or bankruptcy.

Help with debt


We can help you with any worries that you have about your housing situation such as deposits, disrepair, homelessness

Help with housing
Employment rights

We can help with work related issues, including redundancy, dismissals and discrimination.

More info on employment

Consumer rights

When you buy goods or services the law protects your rights as a consumer. We can help if you’re treated unfairly or when things go wrong

Help with consumer issues

Family issues

We can advise you on your rights and options, this could include the legal options for your finances, children and property.

More info on family issues

Get advice by phone: call 020 7392 2919 By text: text us a brief summary of your issue on 07432 658083 By email: contact or complete our online form below and one of the team will get back to you.

If you DO NOT live, work or study in the City of London Square Mile, find out what other services you can access here. If you need help with a legal issue, our Free Legal Advice Centre may be able to help. Complete this online form to arrange to speak with a legal advisor.

Complete the online form

Fill out tthis form and one of our advisors will get back to you.

    How we’ve helped others

    Some names have been changed to protect privacy

    I just can’t fault them, they are so helpful, and remain open and welcoming when I come back for advice on different things. It’s a great service. I don’t know where I’d be without it.”


    City Advice client

    No words of praise would match what we feel you did for us through these hard times. Our baby owes a lot to you born healthy and strong as she is!”

    Mrs B

    City Advice client

    I am disabled and unable to get to Toynbee Hall very easily – to have the possibility of visiting [City Advice] at one of their outreach centres in the estate that I live was a godsend.


    City Advice client