For a future without poverty
Tel: 020 7392 2953
Toynbee Hall is a leading advice provider. Our advice services have been awarded the Advice Quality Service Mark, and has helped almost 20,000 people through the Capitalise partnership. Alongside our frontline delivery, we also contribute and lead strategic activity to tackle debt across London.
Capitalise is a London-wide partnership of 15 independent advice organisations, Citizens Advice Bureaus, and Law Centres who are working together to help people in debt across London.
The Capitalise debt advice programme is funded by the Money Advice Service, and the partnership is led by Toynbee Hall. The key objectives of Capitalise are to:
- Deliver services that best meet the needs of financially excluded Londoners
- Ensure that Londoners receive high quality free debt advice
- Enable them to deal effectively with the crises that they face due to debt
- Empower people to manage their finances effectively and to prevent further debt problems
- Improve local good practice in debt advice provision
- Increase understanding and improve the means of addressing debt and related financial inclusion issues in London, among policy makers and funders
- Maximise effective use of resources for the benefit of service users.
London Debt Strategy Group
In the wake of the financial and economic crisis, London's free debt advice services have seen the demand for their help soar to unprecedented levels since 2008 as more and more people face unemployement and difficulties in accessing credit or dealing with their existing debt and creditors.
Based on the London Debt Summit and the report "Up to our neck in it" the London Debt Strategy Group was established by Toynbee Hall and the Deputy Mayor Richard Barnes to strategically and practically consider solutions to the problems facing Londoners in debt.
Bringing together a membership of key stakeholders and policy makers the group meets quarterly to address the issues confronting London's free debt advice services and their clients in the wake of the economic recession.
The data which the Debt Strategy Group bases its decisions on is collated in a unique collaboration by London's biggest providers of free debt advice such as Capitalise, the Citizens Advice Bureaux, the Legal Services Commission, Community Links and others. This provides the most up-to-date analysis of how debt advice services and clients are affected by the rapidly changing economic climate.
For more information contact Dolly Galvis on firstname.lastname@example.org.
To seek advice visit our debt advice pages