Skip Content

Frequently Asked Questions

What is City Advice?

City Advice is the advice service for the City of London. It is delivered in partnerhship by Toynbee Hall and Royal Courts of Justice Citizens Advice, and funded by the City of London Corporation. City Advice have qualified, advisors who provide one to one, confidential support on a range of issues including debt, work problems, legal issues, consumer rights, family worries and health information.

What is Toynbee Hall and ?

Toynbee Hall is a charity based in Aldgate, we pioneer ways to reduce poverty and disadvantage in the East End of London.

Who does City Advice help?

City Advice helps people working, living and studying in the city of London (the square mile) or those living on City of London Corporation estates elsewhere in London.

Am I eligible for help?

If you live, work or study in the City of London or one of the City of London Corporation estates then you can contact us for help.

Unsure if you are eligible for this free service? Check our map

What sort of issues does City Advice advise on?

Our advisors are qualified to advise on consumer and employment rights, welfare benefits, debt, housing and legal issues, relationships, health and wellbeing. Our service is confidential and impartial.

How will City Advice help me?

How we will help will depend on your enquiry and the level of advice and help you need. We will make a detailed assessment of the problem and advise you on the help and advice you need and what we can offer. We may give you advice on your rights so you can take action yourself or if necessary or appropriate we will act on your behalf. 

How can I contact an advisor?

There are lots of ways for you to access the help that you need:

If you live, work, volunteer or study  in the City, call 020 7392 2919 (Mon-Fri 10am-5pm)

Text on 07432 658083

Drop-in to one of our advice surgeries 

Onlineby completing the query form below.

Where are the Advice surgeries?

View your nearest City Advice surgery

We have advice surgeries at:

Portsoken Community Centre

Artizan Street Library and Community Centre

Golden Lane Estate Office

City Business Library

Barbican Estate Office

The Guild Church of St Martin-Within-Ludgate

Cass Child & Family Centre

Times and addresses can be found here.

What should I bring to an advice surgery?

It is often a good idea to ring our advice line prior to attending a session in this way we can advise you on what to bring to a session. However this is not essential and if you wish to just come along to an outreach session try to bring all relevant paperwork with you, it is better to have too much rather than too little and more information will help our advisor to get to the heart of the issue sooner. 

How quickly can you help me?

We can start dealing with your issue as soon as we receive your call, alternatively come along to one of our advice surgeries and you should be able to see someone straight away or with a small delay.

Who will help me?

Your enquiry will be dealt with by one of our expert advisors, Our advisors are all employed by City Advice and will provide impartial one-to-one advice. They will treat you with
respect and deal with your enquiry in a non-judgemental manner.

What will happen after you have seen or spoken to me?

We will keep you up to date with our progress and in return we ask that you keep us abreast of changes and progress on your case. We need you to be as open and accurate with us as possible as this is the only way we can ensure that the correct advice is given and appropriate action is taken.

Complete this form to request a call back from one of our experienced advisors.

* Denotes required field.